White-Sauce Short Rib Lasagna
· 2 lb. boneless beef short ribs
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/2 tsp. black pepper
· 16 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
· 3 carrots, chopped
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1 cup dry red wine
· 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1/4 cup butter
· 1/4 cup all-purpose ﬂour
· 3 cups milk
· 6 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
· 2 tsp. snipped fresh thyme
· 12 dried lasagna noodles
· Olive oil
· Gruyére cheese (optional)
· snipped fresh thyme (optional)
1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven combine mushrooms, carrots, onion, wine, broth, and garlic. Add ribs, Bring to boiling. Reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, for white sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in ﬂour. Stir in milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in Gruyere cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer ribs to a cutting board. Shred meat. Strain cooking liquid; reserve vegetables. Return meat to pot. Stir in reserved vegetables and thyme.
4. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions until tender yet ﬁrm (al dente). Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain well.
5. Drizzle the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with olive oil. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer in baking dish. Spread with 1 cup of the white sauce. Using a slotted spoon, add one-third of the short rib mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Pour remaining white sauce over top. Cover with parchment paper brushed with olive oil, coated side down; seal tightly with foil.
6. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes more or until cheese is golden brown and lasagna is bubbly. Remove from oven. Top with additional Gruyere cheese and snipped fresh thyme, if desired. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Make ahead Store short rib mixture in the refrigerator up to 3 days before assembling lasagna.