Indian Shrimp With Cauliflower
· 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
· 2 teaspoons garam masala
· Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 onion, diced
· 3 cloves garlic, chopped
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
· 2 small russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled and diced
· 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
· 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
· 2 pieces naan or other flatbread, warmed and cut into wedges
1. Toss the shrimp with ‘/2 teaspoon garam masala in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Heat tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook until the edges are golden, about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon; set aside.
2. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pot, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, the remaining 11/2 teaspoons garam masala and the cilantro. Cook, stirring to coat, 30 seconds. Stir in 3% cups water and the potatoes. Cover, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, then uncover and add the cauliflower. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the shrimp and peas; simmer 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with more cilantro. Serve with the naan.