Fusilli With Breadcrumb Pesto
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 4 garlic cloves
· 1 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
· ½ cup breadcrumbs
· 2 tablespoons ice water, plus more as needed
· 3 cups mixed soft herbs, such as basil, parsley and mint
· 1½ cups finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more if desired
· 1 pound fusilli
1. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, pulse garlic and, with motor running, drizzle in oil until combined. Add breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon ice water and herbs, and purée to a paste. (If pesto looks too thick, drizzle in more water.) Add cheese and pulse to form a thick, bright-green sauce. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
2. Add pasta to boiling water. Cook according to package instructions until just shy of al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
3. Place ¾ cup reserved cooking water in a large sauté pan over high heat. Once boiling, remove pan from heat and whisk in ¾ of pesto until emulsified. Add drained pasta to pan and toss until noodles are coated in a creamy sauce. Add more pesto or splashes of water as needed. (Save any leftover pesto for another use.) Top with more cheese, if you like.